Construction Department & Building Permit Information
195 Changebridge Road
Montville, NJ 07045-9498
(973) 334-0180 (fax)
Building Permit Information
What steps are involved in the Construction Permit Process?When do you require a building permit?
The Uniform Construction Code (UCC) provides a specific process for construction permits. This process is illustrated on the UCC-Construction Process Flowchart.
Building permits must be obtained from the Montville Construction Department before making any of the following changes to a building:
- Replacing a roof
- Installing new siding
- Adding a bedroom or bathroom
- Adding an addition
- Interior alterations
- Constructing a deck
- Enclosing a porch
- Installing a dishwasher
- Replacing an electric stove with a gas stove
- Finishing a basement
When don't you require a building permit?
- Repairing roofing or siding materials with like material, if the area doesn't exceed 25 percent of the roof within a year
- Repairing and replacing duct work
- Installing floor material, including carpeting
- Painting the exterior or interior
- Replacing any window or door, if no change in the dimensions or framing of the opening is involved
- Covering walls, plastering or placing a drywall on an existing wall
- Replacing glass in any window or door, if the glass conforms to minimum requirements
- Replacing any faucet or valve, if the piping system doesn't have to be rearranged
Certificate of Occupancy for resale of property:
The Township of Montville does not require a new Certificate of Occupancy on the refinance or change of ownership of a residential or commercial structure as long as there is no change in use.Smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarm test required for resale of residential property:
A fire inspection is
required by the State for the transfer of residential property. The inspection must be scheduled with one of the three Fire Prevention Bureaus, depending on the location of your property. Information regarding the boundaries of the fire districts and the contact information for the bureaus can be found on the Fire & First Aid page.
Last Updated ( Wednesday, 04 June 2014 )