The Montville Township Police Records Bureau is responsible for the day to day records of the police department. Senior Records Clerk, Paula Joy and a Records Clerk
staff the Bureau during regular working hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday. Extended hours are available; please call (973) 334-1732 to schedule.
Requests for Discovery must be made in person, via e-mail or in writing to the Records Department. Telephone requests cannot be accepted.
E-mail requests to PoliceRecords@MontvilleNJ.org.
Mail written requests to:
Montville Township Police Department
360 Route 202 Ste 1
Montville, NJ 07045
ATTN: Records Department
MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT REPORT REQUESTS
To obtain a copy of a Motor Vehicle Accident Report you may take one of the following options:
- Come in person. Please call Police Records to ensure the report is available and that there will be someone available to assist you. There is not charge for documents up to twenty (20) pages and accident reports are typically one (1) or two (2) pages. Directions to the Police Department are available here - DIRECTIONS, or if using a GPS system, use 360 Main Road, Montville, NJ 07045. Please allow five days for the officer to complete his/her report.
- Have the report faxed or e-mailed to you (free of charge). E-mail or fax your request to Police Records. Please provide the Incident Report Number (IR#) or date of accident with the location and driver's name. Additionally, be sure to supply a return fax number or e-mall address. If you did not receive an Accident Information Card at the time of the accident you may call Police Records to obtain the Incident Report Number. Please allow five days for the officer to complete his/her report.
- Regular mail. Please send a $5.00 check or money order, made payable to the Township of Montville, with a request for a copy of your report. Please provide the Incident Report Number (IR#) or date of accident with
the location and driver's name. If you did not receive an Accident
Information Card at the time of the accident you may call Police
Records to obtain the Incident Report Number. Please allow five
days for the officer to complete his/her report.
In order to obtain a firearm, you must meet eligibility requirements and comply with the statutes, which govern firearms purchases in the State of New Jersey. All firearms applications for residents of Montville Township are handled through the police department's Records Bureau. If you need guidance with the application process or have questions, please call 973-334-1732. Unless otherwise stated most forms can be downloaded from the State Police Website
Firearms Application Process and Requirements:
The process begins with making application with the Records Department. New Jersey state law requires you to submit to a background investigation by both state and federal agencies, supply references, be fingerprinted, and consent to a mental health records check. There are two types of purchase permits in New Jersey: the Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and the Permit to Purchase a Handgun. Applicants use the same application form (Form STS-33) for either of these permits. Those applying should anticipate the process taking approximately four to six weeks. Incomplete or missing information may delay the process, as will the failure of your references to respond in a timely manner. Applications for fingerprinting must be picked up at the Montville Township Police Department. Actual fingerprinting takes place through Sagem Morpho.
$5.00 for the Firearms Identification Card
This one time fee is payable to Montville Township Police Department and may be either a check or money order. The ID card is good for as long as you remain eligible to own a firearm in the State of New Jersey and reside at the same address.
$2.00 for each handgun permit
You will need one permit for each handgun you wish to purchase. This is payable to the the Montville Township Police Department by check or money order.
Note: You can't combine fees in one payment. Payment to the Township must be separate from payment to the state.
If you already possess a Firearms Identification Card and you are applying for a Permit to Purchase a Handgun
If you already posses a Firearms Identification Card, you must submit the following forms:
- Form STS-33. Check the box at the top of the form to indicate that you are applying to purchase a handgun and enter the number of permits you are seeking. Pistol permits are initially valid for ninety days and may be renewed for an additional ninety days prior to the expiration of the initial 90 day period.
- Form SP-66. This is the Consent for Mental Health Records Search Form and is designed to facilitate access to mental health records of the applicant by the investigating authority. N.J.S.A. 2C:58-1 et seq. precludes persons who are suffering from a mental illness from acquiring, selling, using, and carrying firearms.
- Form NJ SBI 212A. As of August 2009, the MTPD has been directed to request that applicants complete a NJ SBI 212A form. This form can not be duplicated, only originals will be accepted.
When completing the NJ SBI 212A Form, please remember to
-Complete all highlighted areas on the form
-Obtain a certified check of money order in the amount of $18
-Return the following to Montville Township Police Department Records:
A) A Completed SBI 212 Form with money order
B) A completed Pistol Permit Application with the permit fee of $2/permit
C) A Mental Health Form with all highlighted areas completed and your signature, which must be witnessed by a sworn Montville Township Police Officer
Permits to Carry Firearms
A Permit to Carry Firearms is required for any handgun, concealed or not, and it must be renewed every two years.
In addition to meeting the requirements of the Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and Permit to Purchase a Handgun, the following are also required:
- Application to Carry Handgun Form SP642
- Mental Health Form SP66
- Certificate of Eligibility - A letter from the employer stating your reasons for the need to carry a weapon.
- A Certified Range Qualification
- 3 Photos and 1/2 x 1 1/2 (passport type photo) shoulders and above, no hats.
- A $20 fee by certified check or money order payable to, "New Jersey Judiciary"
Change of Address for a Firearms Identification Card
If you are updating your address for your Firearms Identification Card and reside in this Township, please complete the the following forms:
- Form STS - 3: Duplicate Firearms Identification Card
Form SBI-212A: Request for Criminal History Record Information for a Non-Criminal Justice Purpose. This form must be an original, is available at the Montville Township Police Department and must be submitted with a check or money order for $18.00, made payable to "Division of State Police."
- Form SP-66: Consent for Mental Health Records Search. Please do not sign this form on your own, the witness must be a sworn Montville Township Police Officer. You may sign at the time the forms are submitted.
Replace Lost or Stolen Firearms Identification Card or Change the Name or Sex on your Firearms Identification Card
If you are replacing a lots or stolen Firearms Identification Card or changing the name or sex on your Firearms Identification Card, the following are required:
- Form STS - 3: Duplicate Firearms Identification Card
- Form SP-66: Consent for Mental Health Records Search. Please do not
sign this form on your own, the witness must be a sworn Montville Township
Police Officer. You may sign at the time the forms are submitted.
- Form SBI-212A: Request for Criminal History Record Information for a Non-Criminal Justice Purpose. This form must be an original, is available at the Montville Township Police Department and must be submitted with a check or money order for $18.00, made payable to the "Division of State Police."
- You must surrender the old card at the time of the application for the replacement card.
- If your card was lost or stolen, you must submit a copy of the official reporting confirming the loss or theft occurred.