TC Minutes 03-13-07 - Budget Print E-mail

MONTVILLE TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE

SPECIAL BUDGET MEETING MINUTES—March 13, 2007

 

Montville Township Committee Special Budget Meeting

Tuesday, March 13, 2007, 6:00 p.m.

Montville Township Municipal Building, 195 Changebridge Road, Montville, New Jersey

7:00 p.m. – Statement of Open Public Meetings Act Compliance read by Chairman Art Daughtry:  “As required by the Open Public Meetings Act, adequate Notice of this meeting has been provided which Notice specified the time and place of the meeting to the extent known at that time. The Notice was posted on the bulletin board at the Municipal Building, mailed to The Daily Record, The Star Ledger, and The Citizen as well as other newspapers and it was placed on file in the Township Clerk’s office. This meeting has been properly noticed to the public in accordance with the Open Public Meetings Act.”

Present:            Committeeman James Sandham, Jr.

                        Committeewoman Jean Bader

                        Committeewoman Deborah Nielson

                        Chairman Art Daughtry

Absent:            Committeeman Stephen Moscone

Also present:            Frank Bastone, Township Administrator

Frances Vanderhoof, Director of Finance

Anthony Barile, Township Engineer

Thomas Mazzaccaro, DPW/Water & Sewer Director

DISCUSSION 2007 MUNICIPAL BUDGET - CAPITAL:

Frank Bastone, Township Administrator, stated he was going to answer questions submitted to him previously by the Township Committee regarding the capital budget.

Township Clerk recording system – does it use voice recognition?  No.  Township Committee agreed – Trudy Atkinson will look into the price of a voice recognition system.

Video equipment $5,000.  That is for the broadcasting equipment – camera, etc.

Changebridge Road sidewalks – will the County commit to funding?  Anthony Barile, Township Engineer, stated the County will participate in funding after the decision regarding our grant request for the Safe Routes to School program.

Stiles Lane – County funding?  Barile stated the County really never committed funds for this.  I am meeting with Mr. Hammond Thursday to discuss that and other issues. 

Committeewoman Nielson asked if there would be any County funding for traffic lights.  Barile stated the way it works is the County does the plans and gets them approved. 

Roads – liquid calcium attachments to vehicles?  Daughtry asked Thomas Mazzaccaro, DPW/Water & Sewer Director if he thinks it is needed. 

Barile stated it increases public safety.  Yes, there is a cost associated with it.  It also eats away at the surface and the equipment.

Mazzaccaro stated it works well below 12 degrees.  The County does it and some other towns.  Barile stated the County has the tank at the Public Safety Building site.  We could phase in over time. 

Gator needed?  Bastone stated it is equipped with a plow.  It will plow the sidewalks and the turf fields.  Daughtry asked the little gator is not big enough?  Mazzaccaro stated it is just more efficient to have the two of them. 

Copier/scanner – how many copies per year do we make?  Barile stated 800,000 per year.  200,000 are done in-house.  Over that amount – they are sent out.  We are sending more copies out because of the condition of the machine. 

Viewmont Terrace – why additional funds?  Projected estimate June 2007. 

Horseneck Road improvements.  $114,000 projected estimate June 2007, net of grant funds.

Hatfield Creek – how much spent to date?  Maybe our DPW can do the work?  Obtain permits only in 2007, do the rest in 2008?  It is beyond the capabilities of our DPW equipment.  Permit is good for five years. 

Road resurfacing program - $200,000 annual maintenance program.  Nielson asked do we need to fund the whole thing?  Barile stated they have not done a program like this since 2004.  There are some roads that are really bad. 

Salt storage – what portion is Morris County funding?  Bastone stated it is 50/50.  $200,000 is our portion.

Camp Dawson $90,000.  Breakdown is included in the request:  new parking lot, new driveway entrance, new walkways, new set of bleachers, etc.

Nielson asked if Recreation has given us a priority – because we have other facilities.

Discussion regarding the need for bleachers.  Township Committee agreed – they do need the basic safety and handicap access improvements.

Manchester drainage.  We received the DEP permits.  That is the number.

Stiles Lane – Nielson stated they could possibly need a DEP diversion for the right-of-way.  Do we really have to do the Stiles Lane project?  Look into.

Utility request for Community Park.  There is only one meter there.

Bader asked about the $70,000 for a sprinkling system at town hall.  Bastone stated he is not including this.

Senior House carpet.  Bastone stated it is for the back room.

Aerator $18,000.  Mazzaccaro stated they would use it more than once a year.  This is a replacement for the tine machine they have now.

Bastone stated he has discussed with Tony Barile, Tom Mazzaccaro, and Rich Cook what the real critical priorities are this year.  We have a $1 million list; however, that does not include what has been discussed with other groups – i.e. baseball, animal shelter, etc.

Committeeman Sandham stated in his opinion, they stick to the $1.2 million. 

Bastone stated things they must do:  engineering copier/auto cad; Viewmont Terrace; Horseneck Road; $200,000 road resurfacing program; salt spreader; Hook Mountain Road/Bloomfield Avenue traffic signal.  Police MDT’s –fund $25,000 instead of $75,000. 

Fleet maintenance – 2 vehicles – Construction/Zoning SUV and passenger vehicle.  Those two vehicles are no longer operating.  Daughtry stated but we are functioning without them?

Frances Vanderhoof, Director of Finance, stated now, the employees are using their own vehicles, and they are getting reimbursed for mileage. 

Sandham stated there are insurance issues with employees using their own vehicles.

Other capital budget items – bucket truck, dump truck, tire changer and wheel balancer, rotary broom for tractor, and safety switches at Masar Park.

Finish Towaco bus shelter.  Was there money left in there for capital improvements?  Vanderhoof will check. 

Bastone stated the total is $772,850.  He suggested purchasing the new digital recording system, new website, gator vehicle, dual-wheel pickup truck, and aerator.  Those items come to $87,300.  Total $860,000.

Sandham stated library – we are going to discuss tonight a 50/50 split of capital items.  Barile stated there is a drainage issue there which would be capital.  Resurfacing is a maintenance issue.  

Nielson stated Changebridge Road sidewalks – depending on when we get the funding, it could be late 2007 or early 2008.  We have a school there and a soccer field. 

Sandham stated we are $861,000 now.  One thing I want to push for is the VFW HVAC.  There is still money left in the original appropriations.

Total $869,000.

Nielson stated Changebridge Road sidewalks – top priority for the $1.2 million balance.  Vanderhoof stated if you want to do the $1.2 million, you will have to do a $60,000 down payment instead of $50,000.

Daughtry stated Board of Education video – they pay their person $5,000 a year approximately.   If we want to do it, maybe the BOE can pay for the equipment.

Bastone stated MBSA, Animal Shelter, and Hatfield Creek are not in here.  Probably will not need for 2007.  Sandham stated we have $130,000 set aside we could use if we need it for 2007.  The Long-Term Financial Planning Committee recommends going to $1.5 million in 2008 for capital projects.

Meeting adjourned at 7:10 p.m.  Motion:  Sandham.  Second:  Bader.  All in favor except Moscone - absent.  Motion approved.

Respectfully submitted,

                                                           

Gertrude H. Atkinson, Township Clerk

Last Updated ( Monday, 26 November 2007 )
 
< Prev   Next >
Joomla School Template by Joomlashack