Planning Board Minutes 9-25-08 Print E-mail

MONTVILLETOWNSHIP PLANNING BOARD

7:30 PM Start

195 Changebridge Road, Montville Municipal Building

MINUTES OF SEPTEMBER 25, 2008

ROLL CALL

Mr. Maggio  - absent               Mr. Karkowsky - present        

Ms. Kull - present                    Mr. Daughtry - absent

Ms. Nielson – absent               Mr. Visco - present

Mr. Lipari - present                  Mr. Lewis – entrance noted

Mr. Hines - present                  Mr. Canning (alt#2) - present

                                                          Mr. Speciale (alt#1) - present

Also  Present:

Stan Omland, PE

Michael Carroll, Esq.

Joe Burgis, Planner

PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE

Stated

STATEMENT OF COMPLIANCE

Stated

PUBLIC DISCUSSION

No public comments

Mr. Lipari indicated several items should be checked:  Mr. Gaudiosi’s property has a sign that has not been approved and should be contacted to comply with sign ordinance.   The sign has various colors and is not consistent with sign theme. 

The Gulf Station on Rt. 202 on Alpine Road – right hand side, and back yard is exposed, with bricks falling down and debris. Mrs. White indicated this site owner was contacted by Zoning and ordered to clean up.

PLANNING BUSINESS

  • Aged Restricting Housing/Rezoning - Jos. Burgis Report

Morris Canil Rezoning Request

331 Route 202; Block 59.02 Lot 26

# PGDP 08-09

Mr. Burgis indicated he reviewed site behind RAIA, noting this area consists of property that may be used for a By-Pass Road.  Mr. Burgis summarized his on site meeting and review of the property in the area.  He indicated he was not in favor of rezoning for residential.  He reviewed the master plan that we adopted, noting the Board has a position that we should not create any further density in the community. 

Alternatives discussed, with Mr. Burgis noting that a hotel may be a good location in this area.  The current zoning appears to be an appropriate alternative. Mr. Burgis indicated he looked at retail as an alternative, but with the concerns made by the County that they did not want to see any type of use that would generate additional traffic in this immediate area due to the current level of traffic in this area.

One of the uses reviewed was a supermarket.  This is not something the County wanted to encourage also.  Mr. Burgis indicated he is also concerned about the retail component, since we are trying to promote and encourage retail development in the Towaco area.  Putting more retail on this site would possible hamper development in Towaco.  For these reasons, it may be best to keep the zoning as it is.  Mr. Burgis indicated as part of the more comprehensive update for master plan, he would revisit this site again.    

Finally, since hotels are allowed, the Township should put this definition in our ordinance.  We currently have this definition under the B6 zone, but it is not carried into definition section.  Mr. Carroll elaborated.    

Bob Gannon - present

The definition of hotel was explained based on request by Mr. Gannon.  One of the issues that the owner has is that the residential component is what he was looking for, and this report indicates there is no residential allowed here.  Don’t know the viability of this market right now.  Mr. Gannon indicated he is trying to get in a use that creates the possibility of the by-pass road being developed.

Mr. Lipari indicated he reviewed the sites that were brought up as well as the sites reviewed by our prior planner, Adrian Humbert.  The total of these units if they were all to go through would be 727 units.  His concern was how a township would address this especially if we already know that 30% of our housing is townhomes? 

Mr. Burgis indicated that this is one of the things that should be looked at in the overall master plan, and redefine the analysis of how many is the appropriate number for Montville given what has happened here.  Right now 30% is a high number of attached housing in a community. 

Mr. Lipari asked if the sites that we are reviewing are in Highlands Area.  Mr. Burgis indicated they were not.

Michael Carroll indicated there is a new meeting going on with governor trying to defang the worst of COAH’s issues, but most are on the Preservation area of the Highlands. 

Mr. Burgis answered what the COAH requirements are, noting at this time COAH requires 1 unit for every 4 market.  In terms of development of aged restricted COAH only permits total obligation of 25% for age restriction.

O’Dowd Rezoning Request

Route 202 and River Road

Block 59 Lots 13, 17, 18, 19 and 25

Mrs. White noted that lot 25 was eliminated from the request although the report may have referenced it.  She also reminded the Board about the application for American Properties on a piece of this tract as well as the site owned by Mr. Folgelson.  Although reviewed by Planning Board, applicant never proceeded.  Concerns were raised at that time about density and story exposure. 

Mr. Burgis summarized his report noting property is 20 acres in size and about 10 acres of true developable area can be used.  No plans were submitted by Mr. O’Dowd.

He reviewed the property for aged restricted and mixed use.  He noted that he was more in line with aged restricted housing than the mixed use.  He would like to do this as part of the comprehensive master plan.  This process should take a year to complete with the entire Master Plan.

The current master plan discusses discouraging attached residential housing and this document continues to indicate the 30% factor of attached housing which he felt was more than enough to accommodate the needs.  As these reports, the plan policy dictates.

Bill O’Dowd present –

Mr. O’Dowd asked for clarification of the prior application under American Properties.  He indicated that the reason no mapping was involved with his application was due to the fact that there was a plan for American Properties on this site which showed a build out.  He indicated that Lot 25 was eliminated due to cost.  He felt that senior housing offers a good ratable with little pain.  Mr. Burgis is trying to find the correct location and the right numbers for the community, and this is a task he would respond to when looking at the overall numbers and master plan document.   

(Gary Lewis entered)

Mr. O’Dowd continued:  In this town, there is limited percentage of aged restricted housing.  You need to give density to allow this.  You have to make choices and put yourself in the shoes of people at that age.  This might be a sensible alternative.

Mr. O’Dowd mentioned that the type of zone he was looking for was one that was similar to what happened on GI site:  the Planning Board came back and gave a menu of uses, and thought it might be useful for the board and the applicant for something similar.  Mr. Burgis will continue to explore aged restricted housing on this tract at time of master plan.

Holiday Montville, LLC, Rezoning Request

29, 33 and 35 Vreeland Avenue

Block 52.03 Lots 19, 21 and 22

# PGDP 08-02

Present:  Bob Gannon

Mr. Burgis indicated this request is different than conventional aged restricted since it is 31 detached housing units.  This report has too much emphasis on market conditions that exist at present time.  After further review, he felt he would like to issue a supplemental issue on this based on surrounding development pattern, feeling there may be some consideration.  There is always concern with detached aged restricted housing; you are more likely to see non-aged restricted housing if there is a problem in the future with marketing, and this is always a possibility. 

Mrs. White noted that the applicant has filed a use application and Mr. Carroll indicated applicant is free to pursue  same, explaining how an application can continue to proceed at the Board of Adjustment even if ordinance is adopting allowing it.    

Bob Gannon asked:  On page 3 of report, the second line with exception of Longview, sounds like this area is small.  Report seems to say that it is a single family resident is out of place.   Mr. Burgis will readdress this.

Page 6 as to absorption rate, there are 31 units proposed there, and he already has 14 people listed who would put monies down on these units now.  He voiced concerns with Mr. Burgis position as to market forces.  Mr. Burgis indicated the problem is always that of density and feels that most people would prefer ‘lots’ in this type of housing.

Mrs. White asked Mr. Burgis to submit a final version of each draft report so that it can become part of the Board’s official record.  Mr. Burgis indicated he would submit same, and he will also work with Mrs. White on a Master Plan schedule, noting we are not going into a full blown master plan.  This project will be completed by 2009. 

Planning Board invited applicants to the two special meetings that are coordinated with Highlands & County.  The County will meet 7PM on October 6th for wastewater management, and the Highlands will meet October 23rd at 7PM on Highlands’s issues. 

Amendments re:  Soil Movement/Height/Lot Size/Fill

Rescheduled to October 6th agenda

Update: Housing Element/COAH/Master Plan

Mrs. White indicated she will need this element completed first, have a spending plan developed, since the Township has begun taking commercial/industrial monies on release of CO’s.  Mr. Burgis indicated he would coordinate with Mrs. White schedules.

           

WAIVERS

            PMISC08-35 Fairway Cargo Services – 60 Chapin Rd. – B: 183,   L: 5-warehouse (90,000 s.f.)/shipping of popcorn – 4 employees –         hours of operation 7am-9pm Mon-Fri; 8am-12pm Sat. – overnight     parking of 2 vans and 1 tractor trailer – no signage

Motion made by: Russ Lipari

Seconded:  Gary Lewis

Roll Call:  unanimous

RESOLUTIONS

None

                  

CORRESPONDENCE

None

MINUTES

          Minutes of 9/11/08 – Eligible:  Art Maggio, Ladis Karkowsky, Marie         Kull, Deb Nielson, John Visco, Art Daughtry, Russ Lipari, Larry Hines, Tony Speciale

Motion made by:  Russ Lipari

Seconded:  John Visco

Roll call:  Unanimous

INVOICES

Michael Carroll, Esq. – Trust for: $1,080 (K&K), $467.50, $33.75,

$33.75

Omland Engineering – O/E for: $90; Trust for: $202.50,

$1,316.25 (K&K), $821.25

Burgis Assoc. – O/E for: $60, Trust for: $210, $240, $240, $840,

$180, $60, $90, $900, $150, $960, $1,636.25 (Morris Canil),

$180, $120

Anderson & Denzler – Trust for: $303.75

Bricker & Assoc. – Trust for: $250

Motion made by:  Larry Hines

Seconded:  Russ Lipari

Roll call:  Unanimous

         

LOI/DEP NOTIFICATIONS

None

OLD BUSINESS

None

           

NEW BUSINESS

None

CONCEPTS

None

At the end of the meeting, Board recognized Ms. Sammy Mikulski – Montville – 10 Nowac Lane – she asked about the opening of a music school at 321 Changebridge Road (gaudiosi building) indicated she is having problems with the landlord.  She has the Fine Arts studio previously approved located in this building. Mrs. White indicated there is no other dance school approved other than the one in her facility.  She noted she doesn’t have a problem with any new tenant, but there is an issue with landlord.  She indicated there is on going renovation for a new dance school underway, which Mrs. White indicated she would ask Mr. Laird to investigate, as well as windows which are bricked open on the exterior, but nothing was done on the interior.  Mrs. White will ask Mr. Laird to respond.  Ms. Mikulski was asked who the owners of the building are are.  She indicated:  Mr. Gaudiosi, Pino Bio, and Greg Glodek.   

Mrs. White will contact the Construction Official for work being done, and for closing in of windows. 

Meeting adjourned unanimously in a Motion made by: Larry Hines

Seconded by: Tony Speciale

Respectfully submitted,

Linda M. White

With explanation

With explanation

With explanation

 

Last Updated ( Thursday, 09 October 2008 )
 
< Prev   Next >
Joomla School Template by Joomlashack