Housing FAQs
We receive many calls about the affordable housing program. The following questions are the most commonly asked ones. If you have further questions, please contact the Housing Director.


Question: How do I know if I qualify for affordable housing?

Check COAH’s Affordable Housing Regional Income Limit Guide for Morris County. The Council of Affordable Housing releases the regional income limits for the entire state by income and family size. If your total income is over the number indicated, you go up to the next category. If you are over the moderate-income category then you do not qualify for affordable housing.

Question: Can you give me what number I am on the waiting list?

Due to the large volume of names on the various waiting lists, we no longer give out the number assigned to your name. This office will contact you when you name comes up within top 15 of pre-certified candidates or if it is a rental, Rachel Gardens Marketing Offices will call you to come in for a financial certification interview.

Question: How long will it be before I get called?

Nothing new has been approved and/or under construction. Based on past history, we get 9-11 resale requests yearly. 75% of these units are certified as senior citizen units only (62 + older) or one-bedroom moderate units. It’s infrequent that we get in a 2 or 3-bedroom low household resale. This type of home is the most commonly requested.

Question: Once you own a single-family condo, are we required to continue to be monitored by Township Housing to maintain income qualified certification after closing?

You must be income certified to own a unit. The financial data in this process is extensive Once certified and an owner, this is your home no different than any other single family dwelling, and we do not monitor your income. We do monitor illegal use and/or violations of sale, Housing Agreements and/or Rules & Regulations and Ordinances of the Township.

Question: With households filing taxes through e-filing, we are having trouble getting copies of tax returns. How can we get copies of e-filed tax returns?

According to the IRS website, transcripts of previously filed tax returns can be ordered by completing a Form 4506-T or calling (800) 829-1040 and following the prompts in the recorded message. There is no charge for the transcript and you should receive it in 10 business days from the time they receive your request. Tax return transcripts are generally available for the current and past three years.

Question: Are there any potential issues with selling or renting to a separated family that has a divorce pending?

Yes, until a divorce is finalized, a spouse can make claim on a residence purchased or rented by the other spouse. Until a divorce is finalized, it is suggested these types of cases be put on hold.

Question: How can income eligibility be established for someone that may have been out of work for two years, but had a job during the most recent tax year?

As long as the applicant is currently employed, a series of consecutive pay stubs (at least 3 months) can be used to establish the income of an applicant in this or similar situations.

Question: An applicant household has a daughter that has room and board at her college. Can they request a unit that is large enough for her to have a bedroom when she is at home?

Yes. If the household has a student away at college who is still claimed as a dependent and maintains the parents’ address as a legal address, the student should be counted in the household size.

Question: What do I need to know if I am interested in selling my single-family affordable housing unit?

You must notify the Housing Administrator of your intent to sell at which time the pricing of the house will be established and sent to you. Once received, you execute this letter of agreement and return it to the Housing Office. Upon receipt, the top pre-certified prioritized candidates would be contacted with your information. The Housing Office coordinates the entire resale process thru contract, mortgage and closing.

Question: If an Owner of an affordable unit receives a bid on their home from the first household selected from random selection and this offer is for less than the maximum resale price (MRP), must the Seller accept this price or can they ask that the next household selected bid on the house in hopes of getting the maximum resale price?

The Seller of an affordable unit does not have to accept a bid that is less than the maximum resale price and may request that the next applicant household bid on their unit. However, if after a number of applicant households bid on the unit, the maximum resale price is not offered, the Seller could return to the highest bidding household or simply reject all offers and take the unit off the market. Sellers, however, should recognize that in some situations the resale market would not support holding out for maximum resale price, such as the condition of the unit or the unit in comparison to other units in the area.

Question: How is a resale price calculated?

Calculating the maximum resale price (MRP) for an ownership unit involves applying the annual percentage increase corresponding with each calendar year since the Seller bought the house. No increase is permitted during the balance of the calendar year immediately after the sale. The Township Housing Committee approved a 2.27% increase per year to the purchase price.

Question: If I am successful in obtaining a resale unit, how long is the home deed restricted for?

The deed restriction is 30 years from the date of the execution of the Affordable Housing Agreement which document is recorded with the deed. The date of the closing is used as the starting point.

Last Updated ( Friday, 15 April 2016 )