The Tax Collector is charged with the receipt and collection of all local property taxes, both current and delinquent. All tax revenues are remitted to the Director of Finance. It is important to note that the municipal portion of a Montville property owner’s obligation is a small portion of the total obligation. Three other public taxing entities, the Montville Public School District, the County of Morris and the three fire districts develop and adopt their own budgets which must also be supported by the local property tax. (The school and fire district budgets are subject to voter approval.) Both the Township of Montville and the County of Morris, by voter referendum, initiated dedicated open space trust funds which are also part of the local tax bill. New Jersey law requires that the municipal tax collector serve as the billing and collection agency for all four entities.
Payments may be submitted as follows:
· Utilize the Township Website – www.montvillenj.org<http://www.montvillenj.org> (Checking Account Info at No Charge, Credit Card at 3% Convenience Fee)
· Drop off in the Yellow Mail Box in the Township Office Parking Lot (195 Changebridge Road)
· Utilize the Postal System (advise at least 7-10 business days to arrive in our office as we do not accept postmark)
· Utilize your own Banking Bill Pay System (advise at least 7-10 business days to arrive in our office as the bank prints a check and mails it in and we do not accept postmark)
Please be sure to indicate either your Account #, Block/Lot/Qualifier or Property Location when submitting payments.
Real property taxes are due on February 1, May 1, August 1 and November 1. You can now pay your property taxes online. The Township Committee has passed a resolution which allows for a ten-day grace period which includes the due date. Any real property tax payments received after 4:00 PM on the tenth calendar day of the month taxes are due are considered late and interest will accrue back to the due date of February 1, May 1, August 1, and November 1 and be charged as follows:
· On all unpaid and delinquent taxes, the rate of 8% per annum is charged on the first $1,500 of the delinquent payment and 18% per annum on any amount in excess of $1,500.
· On all unpaid and delinquent improvement assessments, the rate of 8% per annum is charged on the first $1,500 of the delinquent payment and 12% per annum on any amount in excess of $1,500.
· No interest shall be charged on taxes if payment is made by 4:00 PM on the 10th calendar day of the month taxes are due.
· As authorized by state law, N.J.S.A., 54:5-61, a penalty of 6% (over and above the late fee) is charged for any delinquent payment in excess of $10,000 if the delinquent payment is not made prior to the end of the calendar year.
· As authorized by state law, N.J.S.A., 54:5-61, an additional penalty of 4% is charged when taxes, interest and the costs of a Tax Sale Certificate exceed $5,000 and 6% when the sum exceeds $10,000.
· There is a $5 charge for duplicate bills.